About Suwanee, Georgia
Money magazine voted Suwanee, Georgia one of America’s Top 10 Best Places to Live. This is fantastic news for medical students attending Emory, Morehouse, Augusta, or Mercer University. Not everyone wants to live in the Big City of Atlanta.
Located in Gwinnett County, Suwanee is just 30 miles north of the Atlanta melting pot. The city houses about 18,000 residents and has been named one of the nation’s best places to raise families and live by Kiplinger, Family Circle, and Money magazines. Google even named it the eCity of Georgia as one of America’s digital capitals.
This progressive city is well-known for its local events, two beautiful parks, and mixed-use real estate developments. Locals enjoy their own public library, amphitheater stage, and interactive water fountain right in Downtown Suwanee. Even with all of that, it still maintains a neighborly charm mixed with an innovative feel.
Live Your Best Med School Life in Suwanee, GA
Suwanee Creek Greenway is a 4-mile multipurpose trail that takes hikers and bikers through wetlands, woods, and wildlife habitats. Hike over to Suwanee Creek Park trailhead and take in the breathtaking views of this 85-acre recreational area. In total, there are over 600 acres of trails and parkland here, much of which is part of an innovative open space initiative.
Historical Main Street is filled with old-town charm, with its own gorgeous park, Burnette-Rogers Pavilion, and vintage train caboose. There’s even a community-constructed, great big playground for the local kids to play together known as PlayTown Suwanee.
Suwanee Medical Emergency Facilities
The medical facilities below are located within the local area. These may be places perfect for you to complete your clinical rotations and quite possibly your residency.
Housing Options in Suwanee, GA
Suwanee is a great place to live if you attend med school in Atlanta but prefer to live in the suburbs. There are numerous options for housing, including single-family homes, condos, townhouses, and apartments.
Some of the storefronts, churches, and homes in the Old Town area date all the way back to the 1870s. You’ll find historical and modern homes for rent and for sale throughout the city.
According to Rent Cafe, the average monthly rent for a Suwanee apartment is $1,425. The average apartment size is 1,104 sq. ft. You can find an apartment for rent in Suwanee online, or speak with some of your classmates to see if they know anything about this awesome city.
Trulia reports the median sales price for homes sold in Suwanee is $329,500, based on 220 sales between February 2 to May 1, 2019. All of these stats represent a year-over-year decrease of -4% for the median sales price. However, stats show a 2% increase in monthly median rent in this city located in the Metropolitan area.
View this post on Instagram
Suwanee Demographic Makeup
This is the demographic makeup of this city just north of Atlanta:
- 13% of Single Residents
- 93% Homeowners
- 65% College Educated
Living in Suwanee, GA
This Atlanta suburb is one of the best places to raise a family in the entire State of Georgia. Some say it’s because of the neighborly feel. Others accredit it to the high-quality local public scores, which all have high ratings.
According to School Digger, there are six public elementary schools in Suwanee, all of which received 5-star reviews. Of its two public middle schools:
- Richard Hull Middle School – Ranked a 5-star middle school
- North Gwinnett Middle School – 5-star school ranked 12th out of the 543 middle schools in Georgia
There are four public high schools in Suwanee, all with high rankings:
- Collins – Received a 4-star ranking
- Peachtree Ridge – Earned a 5-star ranking
- North Gwinnett – 5-star school ranked 9th out of the 428 high schools in the state
- Lambert – 5-star school ranked 5th out of the 428 high schools in the state
Parents in the area are proud that these high schools provide such high-quality education to their students. They put emphasis on teaching basic sciences, which are important for getting into medical school.
This makes Suwanee a great place to raise any high schooler who wants to become a doctor someday.
Things to Do in Suwanee, Georgia – The Locals Edition
Here is a list of things you can do in the City of Suwanee. There are many things to do here, like dining, workout, shopping, and more for medical students attending Augusta, Emory, Mercer, or Morehouse University who don’t want to live in busy Atlanta.
While studying for The Boards, other USMLE tests, and medical certification exams, you must add balance to your life. Take some time to play a little and pamper yourself to avoid medical student burnout.
In between classes and test prep, you need an outlet. So, we created a list of things to do in Suwanee to unwind and relax. Check out what we found:
Top 10 Places to Dine in Suwanee
- All That Korean BBQ – Korean Food – 2850 Lawrenceville Suwanee Rd
- Cheeky Crafty Cantina – Mexican Food – 1039 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
- Choi’s Grill – Korean Food – 1500 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
- Country Pepper – Caribbean Food – 686 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
- Fukulala – Sushi – 1039 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
- Ippolitos – Italian Food – 350 Town Center Avenue
- La Belle Vie – American Cuisine – 1500 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
- Mori House Sushi Bar – Sushi – 4325 Suwanee Dam Road
- Samba Steakhouse – Brazilian Food – 5690 Cumming Hwy
- Taziki Mediterranean Cafe – Mediterranean Food – 1095 Old Peachtree Rd. NW
Top 7 Hair Salons & Barbers in the Suwanee Area
- Aveda Salon Blowout Bar – Specializes in Wedding & Special Event Styling
- Executive Barbers – Classic American Men’s Grooming Center
- Fabulous Inspirations – Hair Salon and Makeup Studio
- Fuse Hair Studios – Serves Men, Women, and Children
- Jackie & Company– Color, Cuts, and Waxing
- Roosters Men’s Grooming – Haircuts for Men and Boys
- Texturz Hair Studio – Specializing in Textured Hair
Top 5 Suwanee Nail Salons
- Majestic Nail Bar – Cozy Nail Salon and Spa
- Nail Studio Salon – Specializes in Acrylic and Gel
- Paris Nails – Nail & Skin Care + Solace Foot Spa
- Sweety Nails & Spa – Spa Treatments, Waxing & Facials
- Together Nail Parlor – Nail Care & Eyelash Extensions
Top 8 Fun Things for Locals to Do in Suwanee, GA
- John’s Creek Gun Range – Gun safety training and target practice
- Masterpiece Mixers Paint & Party Studio – Painting parties, full-service classes, or private sessions
- Movie Tavern Horizon Village – Free popcorn & drink refills and great food ordered right from your seat
- Old Town Suwanee – Includes PlayTown Suwanee, super playground, outdoor pavilion, and red caboose
- Playtown Suwanee – 10,000-square foot children’s playground built by the community, featuring a castle, climbing wall, log cabin, bridges, and more
- Sky Zone Trampoline Park – Toddler time, home school jump, battle tournaments, parties, and events
- Suwanee Town Center Park – Primary gathering place for local events and the “front yard” of the city
- Three Keys Escape Game – Atlanta’s premier 60-minute escape room challenge where teamwork counts
Study Medicine While Living in Suwanee, Georgia
There are currently four medical schools in the State of Georgia. All of these Georgia medical schools are within commuting distance of the City of Suwanee:
- Augusta University – Augusta, GA
- Emory University – Atlanta, GA
- Morehouse School of Medicine – Atlanta, GA
- Mercer University – Atlanta, Columbus, Macon, and Savannah
.Are you a current or future medical student in the Atlanta metropolitan area? Then, you’re a lucky student! MedSmarter is a premiere US medical licensing exam prep school located in Suwanee, GA.
We help students get high scores on The Boards, USMLE Step 2 CK, as well as pass the BLS and ACLS board certification exams. We also provide MCAT courses and one-on-one tutoring, a Clinical Placements course, and ERMI Residency Prep services.
Click the button below to check out our US medical exam test prep, mock exams, and tutoring services.